Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The beginning of a shared journey

"You are going to Kenya."

It came to me as a surprise to get a confirmation email from Samaritan's Purse about my acceptance as an intern for their Water Track internship last Thursday, and then the contract sent to me the next day. It all still seems to be like a dream; to be moving too fast. I just finished my program in International Development Studies and Health & Society, and was looking for a way to get more experience in my field, and also in a more general sense, waiting on God for an answer about my calling for the future.

Going to Urbana last December was one step in that direction. I remember vividly digging deeply into the book of Luke, and being led by Calisto Odede, a Kenyan. We saw how Christ came to where the fishermen were, who took a leap of faith to follow Him.  I remember also, how I was so reminded of my month volunteering in Kenya in 2009 when we packaged kits for World Vision on one of the nights, and all my various emotions of that trip poured out. It didn't occur to me then that God was laying out a path, invisible to me, but so clear to Him. Honestly, I still cannot say I truly understand the path I need to take, but I know that it is only by His power and grace that I could have been provided this opportunity. Praise God!

In case you weren't updated by me, I will be a CIDA (Canadian International Development Agency) Intern with Samaritan's Purse, a Christian relief and development NGO in Kenya for 7 months, and 3 weeks spent in Calgary, Alberta in training beforehand, and then 1 week afterwards for debriefing. In total I will be away from Toronto for 8 months. I will be a Water Track Intern, and be working on water sanitation and community development initiatives in which a Biosand Water Filter, (which purifies water to make it drinkable) will be installed in and by the community, and hygiene practices will be taught. I know there is also much more that I will be involved in, and I will share with you along the way.

I am not used to posting on a public blog for many people to read, as I want to be genuine, and it's harder when you write for an audience. But I have been reading other intern's blogs, and Aaron reminded me that this is a shared journey where I need the support of you and your prayers. I seek to be as honest as I can here on this blog, and hope you would be blessed by what is shared. This time I want to share with you and hope that you would journey with me on this exciting internship.

love,
ying

No comments:

Post a Comment